Authorities arrest three people after the attack

At least one person has died and 22 have been injured, including children, in a shooting that took place this Wednesday in Kansas City, Missouri, during the parade celebrating the victory of the Chiefs football team. in Super Bowl LVII.

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves has confirmed the death toll and indicated that authorities have arrested three people in connection with the shooting. Shortly before, she had indicated that a suspect had been arrested after being chased by police after the shooting. In addition, a firearm has been recovered.

“I am angry about what happened today. The people who came to this event expected a safe environment,” Graves acknowledged during a press conference in which he stressed that the investigation is in its initial stages and that they are working to identify the deceased.

Although Graves has not given details of the injured, the Chief of the Kansas City Fire Department, Ross Grundyson, has detailed that eight people have injuries that “immediately” endanger their lives, seven have injuries that are life-threatening. and six minor injuries.

Children’s Mercy Hospital has indicated in statements to the CBS News television network that it is treating twelve patients, of which eleven are children and nine have gunshot wounds.

Both the governor of the state of Kansas, Laura Kelly, and the governor of the state of Missouri, Mike Parson, were present at the parade and have indicated on the social network X, formerly known as Twitter, that they have been safely evacuated.

Shortly after, Kelly noted that “today, a day in which the Chiefs’ remarkable skill and success should be celebrated, has become a day of mourning” and added that this attack “goes against” “everything.” what they represent.”

“I’m heartbroken. I don’t want in our country, at every big event, to have to think about the fear of being shot,” said Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas during a press conference.

The White House has noted that US President Joe Biden “has been briefed on the shooting” in Kansas City and that federal officials are in contact with all local authorities.

“We received a call from the White House that offered all federal assistance in the investigation. We had federal agencies present today,” Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said in statements to the press.

The Kansas City Chiefs, who have stated that they are in “close communication” with the City Council and the Local Police, have been “truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred at Union Station at the end of the today’s parade.”

“At this time, we have confirmed that all of our players, coaches, staff and their families are safe,” reads a statement in which he thanked the security forces agents and emergency services who have been on the scene. of the event to help those affected.

According to the first preliminary investigations, terrorist motives are ruled out, although at the moment the motivation is not clear. Around one million people were expected to attend the event and the deployment of 800 agents was expected.

This attack has become the 49th mass shooting in the United States so far this year, according to the organization The Gun Violence Archive.